Is Chiropractic Care Safe for Pregnant Women?
Routine chiropractic care during pregnancy is actually quite helpful for both mother and baby. The gentle and non-invasive techniques provided by a chiropractor are proven to help alleviate pain and reduce stress on muscular joints. Further, keeping regular appointments can also help align the pelvis for an easier delivery. We enjoy empowering women to have the birth experience that they want, educating women about their birth options, as well as providing them with the tools to enjoy a healthy pregnancy and an easier postpartum recovery.
Reasons to Receive Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
There are numerous reasons why a woman might opt for chiropractic care during pregnancy. Some feel it is a good preventative method for keeping the aches of the eventual third trimester away, so they schedule regular appointments from the moment they first find out they’re expecting. Others go when they’re further along to help reduce inflammation and improve range of motion as the size and shape of their bodies evolve with the growth of the baby. Chiropractic care corrects subluxations, opening up nerve pathways and decreasing stress on our body and on our unborn baby. The dynamics of the spine and pelvis change dramatically as the baby continues to develop, impacting our spine and nervous system. When a woman is pregnant, her growing uterus produces a shift in her center of gravity.
Realignment of the spine and pelvis can be achieved through chiropractic care, which includes the Webster Technique. Drs. Andrew and Andrea Williamson are certified in the Webster Technique through the ICPA. The Webster Technique is a safe and effective, specific chiropractic adjustment for pregnant mothers, designed to relieve the causes of intrauterine constraint prior to delivery.
Benefits of Prenatal Chiropractic Care for Expectant Mothers
There are tons of benefits of having chiropractic care while pregnant. Studies have shown the following benefits of chiropractic care for the pregnant mother:
- Prepares the pelvis for an easier pregnancy and birth by creating a state of balance in pelvic bony structures, muscles and ligaments.
- Relieves back and neck discomfort/pain during pregnancy by eliminating stresses in the spine and restoring balance to the pelvis.
- Removes tension on the ligaments that support the uterus thus reducing torsion (intrauterine constraint) to a woman's uterus.
- Reduces interference to the mother’s vital nerve system which controls and coordinates all of her systems and functions.
- Allows for a safer, easier labor and delivery for the mother and child.
- Decreases the need for medical intervention during childbirth.
- Reduces the length of labor.
Are you ready to learn more about chiropractic care for pregnant women? Call 301-829-4040 for your complimentary consultation and to find out how to optimize your body’s natural healing potential!